Friday, November 13, 2009

What is the appropriate direction to go when using clippers on a dog .?

So I can give him the best looking cut possible. Is it better to use them in certain directions on the legs ,belly and neck area? I don't usually clip his face ears and tail. So if you have any professional advice for me I would love to have it. My dog is German Shepard Husky mix and I am asking this cause his last hair cut wasn't perfect. So I would also love to know the do's and don't of a doggie shave down!



What is the appropriate direction to go when using clippers on a dog .?

I am not sure if I do it correctly (I am not a groomer), but I have had the best results by shaving against the lay of the hair (so from butt to head). Then when the hair is short, go over it again with the lay of the hair (from head to butt). It will help keep the dog from getting "clipper lines". There are some coats that never look good clipped, but you just have to try to make them looked the best that you possibly can.



That is the way that I have found best on my Bernese Mountain Dog, but it may not be the way that a groomer does it. I found a website (listed below) that tells you how to groom your dog, and it says to go with the lay of the hair. My dog has curly hair, so it really just clips better going the other direction.



What is the appropriate direction to go when using clippers on a dog .?

I used to work with a groomer and when I watched her, she always did it in the direction that the hair grew even on the legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment